Thoughts on the most offensive show on Broadway.
By Kevin Michael Murphy(Actor-Voice Teacher)
So...I saw the invited dress rehearsal of The Book Of Mormon. I know you're probably dying to hear all about it, and I'm going to do my best to give you some tidbits without ruining anything...too much.
Note: I am by no means a reviewer. All opinions contained below are that of a simple theater-goer. My apologies to anyone who may get offended by me posting anything on this show prematurely. I tried to keep comments simple and vague enough not to ruin any part of the show for anyone.
- It is more ridiculous and offensive than this.
- The show is not just offensive for the sake of being offensive, but if you know Trey Parker and Matt Stone's work, you know that the guys who made this would never do that.
- Could Josh Gad take home a coveted Antoinette Perry award?(That means a Tony)
- The cast is awesome.
- It references this, did anyone else pick up on that?
- It references this in a more obvious way:
- The score is great. We will be hearing these songs sung at the Duplex by less talented people for years to come.
- The choreography is hilarious, and filled with brilliant specificity.
- You can be snarky, overly-critical, and high brow, all you want, but I dare you to not laugh at this show.
- Mormons are sexy.
- Yes, there are things that they will fix and change during previews, but this is a musical written by people that understand how to write musicals....and it's a great time!
If you are old, conservative, lame, take yourself too seriously, and/or Mormon, you will probably hate this musical. To everyone else, this truly original musical is hilarious, heart-warming, offensive, fun, inspiring, poignant, satirical, and guess what? It's going to open on time!