Gena Spends Saturday Night In Living Color... By Gena Oppenheim (Writer)
Saturday night I had the opportunity to attend the 2012 TV Land Awards. The show (which airs April 29th) was basically a fancy prom for TV personalities, with Kelly Ripa as the emcee and The B-52's as the house band. The “winners" (in some pretty specific categories) were: Laverne & Shirley for Fan Favorite; Murphy Brown for the Impact Award; In Living Color for the Groundbreaking Award (which, as Whoopi Goldberg said in her intro, should have been called the Groundbreaker Award); Pee-wee’s Playhouse for the Pop Culture Award and One Day at a Time for the Innovator Award.
Below were the top ten things I overheard audience/party goers remark at the Awards:
1. Wait I thought she was dead?
2. Wait I thought he was dead?
3. Are the B-52's named after a vitamin?
4. Wait isn’t “One Day at a Time” the AA slogan? Was that a drama? I totally have to Netflix it now”
5. Is Jim Carrey Bi-Racial? (What a girl behind me said when Jim hugged Kennen Ivory Wayans and called him ‘Brother.’”)
6. That Real Housewife is so the poor man’s Mob Wife.
7. Did you know that Pee Wee Herman was totally the boy on The Munsters? (um, he wasn’t.)
8. You are so wrong, Kelly Ripa was so on The Facts of Life. She totally played Jo’s deaf cousin. (She didn't.)
9. "Sclemeel, schlemazel!" That Laverne and Shirley theme song is so my new jam!
10. Wouldn't it have been so funny if they filmed In Living Color in black and white?
GENA OPPENHEIM Gena is a fourth generation New Yorker who teaches second-grade in Brooklyn. She is a graduate of Barnard College and received her MFA from NYU Tisch's Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program. http://twitter.com/#!/genabeans